Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Let Me Cast A Vision

So I realize that I may have been too harsh in my last blog, and kind of went on a thousand tangents. I hope with this post to change a little of that.

I tend to get really upset when I see the vision and no one else does, or they see it and are not exited about it. But I realize that part of this must be my fault for not casting the vision clear enough, and I do take partial responsibility with that (this is a big step for me).

What I am exited about is these hardcore kids coming to church. What I am exited about is spreading the kingdom. What I am exited about is reaching more people for Christ.

The way I see it, Christianity is not a fun religion. It is not all bake sales and Bible studies with ones friends. Jesus said to carry our cross. We are warned that there is a heavy price to pay when we sign up to follow Him, but in the same breath we are reassured that His yolk is easy. How can this be? Simple. When we have fully surrendered to Him, fully died to self, fully realized what we were called to be, we can do nothing but that.

Can we keep this new life found in Christ a secret after all he has done for us? I would say that if you are a Christian this would be the farthest thing from your mind. Could you in good conscience look down from heaven and see others whom you could have shared the Gospel with suffering for eternity? Can you, after Jesus has healed you return to your suburban way of life unchanged? If your faith is real I hope you would say no to all of these questions.

How then can we not have a church for hardcore kids? And a church in Northampton? And even more plans after that? Whom do you want to reach? Let us start something for them. I know we are all going to be out of our comfort zone, but isn't that where we are most effective witnesses for Jesus? Can we really congratulate ourselves on preaching to the choir? It is when we are in the thick of the Battle that our General is most clear.

We need to feel inferior, out of place. We need to squirm. It is in these situations that we lay before the throne and can ask for guidance.

What I see is hundreds of hardcore kids coming to know who Christ is. I see a church that has hardcore music. I see hardcore bands coming to know Jesus, going on tour, and bringing Christ to others. I see Jesus redeeming them and their subculture as he has me and my life.

Do you see the vision too? Who are the sub-cultures in your life that we need to reach? What are you doing to further the kingdom? Are you uncomfortable yet?

No comments: