Monday, March 12, 2007

Church Kids Just Don't Get It

This Saturday at 11:30 pm Mercyhouse is beginning its Midnight Service. There will be food and fellowship from 11:30 pm- Midnight, and then a short sermonette followed by some question and answer time. The reason we are starting it is in response to the hardcore concerts we have been hosting here. We have really trying to be lights to these kids and minister to them, and after lots of prayer and discussion, we realized that even if they are interested in Jesus, "church" would probably be too much for them, so we will go to them, instead of whining about how they don't come to us.

Anyway, at first people were really exited, and some still are, but it seems the closer we get to the start, the less people are willing to help. Now I realize that life gets in the way of everything sometimes. I know how hard it is to juggle school, a full time job, friends, church, and them come and do ministry on top of all that. I also know that people are intimidated by the hardcore scene. I am in a special place in our church since I work for it, and doing this Midnight service is part of my job. I also realize that by complaining about the lack of enthusiasm, it turns people off more than makes them exited to help. So I am going to try not to complain that much, and instead cast a vision. Hopefully people will see the mission, get on board, and serve Jesus with joy.

Now I know that these kids are hard to deal with. They are tough, somewhat violent, and extremely smart, and smart asses. All this makes ministering to them very tough. But I want you to see that these are the kinds of people Jesus, Peter, and Paul would have ministered to. Jesus eats with sinners and tax collectors, Peter gives the first sermon in Jerusalem to very smart people, Paul routinely begins conversations with synagogue leaders and Greek philosophers, and Roman Centurions. Now I can't think of smarted people than Greek Philosophers or tougher men than Roman Guards, but these are the people we see being ministered to in the New Testament, and also these are the people that fall in love with Jesus, get the vision of the Church, convert their friends and families, and found the early christian church.

It is not just the New Testament that shows Gods affection for the outcast. Jonah was to preach to the Ninevites, Abraham interceded for Sodom and Gomorrah. Rahab, a prostitute is able to join Israel- and will be in the direct line of the Messiah. Over and over we see God using the "sinners" and tax collectors to further his kingdom.

Well, I don't think these hardcore kids are necessarily "sinners" and tax collectors for our Post-Modern age, but they are pretty close. They are counter culture. They are tough. They are sometimes scary if you are not familiar with their customs and traditions. They are also, in some respects outcasts- that is why they become hardcore. Now if you are a hardcore kid reading this, don't feel too bad. I am not saying you are some freak, I am just telling you what you already knew. That is why you have giant gauged ears and tattoos. You want to reinforce that you are not part of my society. I know you are not in my circle, per se, but I still can respect you for what you are, and if you try to B.S. me into thinking that you are a part of society like anyone else, I promise you will will loose your respect and your hardcore image.

Anyway, these are the kids that God has brought to our church. These are the kids we need to reach. I don't believe in coincidences, I think that there is always a plan. If this is true, that the plan must be to reach these kids. SO lets do it. Now I know that Saturday midnight is late for some of us, but remember how late most people college age stay up Saturdays. When I drank and was a sinner like the rest, my normal bed time was 4 am. I feel that most people in college go to sleep around 2am Sunday Morning. The reason we feel that midnight is so late, is that most Christians are losers. That is why you can't reach the culture.

That's right, most Christans are losers. You would rather get a good night sleep and be ready for church that reach people for Jesus. Let me ask you, when you die, do you think God is going to be more pleased that you went to church on time and alert every week, of that you changed people's lives by showing them Jesus. Ultimately, we are called to reach all the peoples of the world. This includes college age kids who go to bed at 4am and wake up well after church is over. How are they going to hear unless you tell them.

I know I said I was not going to complain that much, and the last paragraph was really a rant at Christians, but sometimes I can't control myself, and I would just erase it, if it didn't need to be said.

Anyway, now for the vision casting time. Mercyhouse already has two services going on, one at 10:30 am, and one at 12:30 pm. But is this all that Jesus wants? Is he content with 200 people worshipping every Sunday? I don't think so. I see Him desiring that all the people of the Pioneer Valley come to know Him who made them. So let us start a third service. Sure it is late, but that is when these kids are up.

My wife lived in Ireland a few years ago, and while she was there, her church fed the homeless. Once they gave food to a homeless person, they would hand them a tract ( a pamphlet explaining Jesus to them) and then would drive away. The main problem here is that the homeless in Ireland have a 70 percent illiteracy rate. This means that they most likely could not read what the tract said. How does this help them know God? I doesn't. I see a parallel here.

If we are not meeting people's needs, but telling them they need Jesus, how are we helping. The needs of Most of Umass, and of the Hardcore scene is someone, something, to meet them on their terms. Part of this, I believe, means having a late night church bible study. If we have church early in the morning and tell them that they should come, it is sort of like handing an illiterate a tract, is it not?

I don't think this is what Jesus did. He went out into the villages, met people where that were. He had compassion on them, he really loved them. When he eats at Levi's house, it is because he knew the easiest way to reach tax collectors was to invade their space. And he doesn't do it so that he can pat himself of the back, but because he really loved these people. He knew what would become of them if they didn't know Him, and He was going to make every effort for them to repent and follow Him, even if that meant eating with tax collectors. It is not the healthy who need a doctor but the sick- and sick people usually can't get themselves to the hospital. Let's bring the hospital to them.

Tonight, as you go to bed, ask yourself what God wants you to do for the kingdom. Jesus demands all of us. We are to take up our cross and follow Him. He is not a way to feel better about yourself (although he will make you well and give you peace) , He is not just a Sunday morning after thought, He is our King, if we call ourselves Christians. He has a plan, and part of that plan he allows us the awesome job of completing, We are told to make disciples of the Nations. Well the Hardcore tribe at Umass needs Jesus as much as you did. Step out of your comfort zone and come love the tax collectors and sinners.

No comments: