Thursday, April 12, 2007

Sorry It Takes Me So Long

Sorry it takes me so long to post a blog, but to be honest it is because I am doing more important things. The weeks I don't post are the weeks that I feel God is using me the most, so don't be discouraged, but rather encouraged when there is nothing new to read.

Anyway, I am now officially a missionary with the Southern Baptists. How this changes things, I don't really know, but I am getting health insurance from them now, so wooo. But this does change things a little. I am know expected to evangelize- which is awesome. Up until now I have felt that evangelism was to be done on my free time, and not when the church is paying me. Now this was a fallacious thought, and my pastor told me that I have the freedom to be an evangelist, but knowing and feeling are two different things. Now I am paid to be an evangelist. What does this mean though.

Well I know what it means to the Baptists. It means getting people baptised. And to some extent that is the gist of it. It is a measure of how well one is evangelising. But there is so much more. How does one evangelize?

I know I have discussed this a few times already, but it is of such importance that I fell we can talk about it again. How does one evangelize?

Is it simply handing out tracks?
Holding up signs that predict peoples doom?
Do I need to think of slick programs to sucker people in?

See I feel there is a value in programs, but they are not all. Unfortunately I have become sucked into the church. What do I mean by that? Well I used to have a lot of non-christian friends, now I have very few. The ones I had have become Christians, or moved away as life called them other places. I have lost my place on the front lines. I think this is where the evangelism happens.

I also used to be in the world because of my job. I was an undercover christian in the Mullins Center, now I work for a church. I need to be on the front lines undercover though. How do I get back there? And once there, how do I reach these people for Jesus?

I am going to end here and update this in a few days when I have the answers I need. I encourage you to think about how to do this wherever you are as well. Jesus wants to reach the people you are daily in contact with as well as the people I want to be in contact with.

Just an aside, I want to reach the dirty, but somehow stay clean myself. This is what I will be meditating in the next few days.

No comments: